Custom Kernel Update

So I've started the research phase of creating my own kernel. Going to do this nice and slow and try and get it right, the first time around. My goals are:
  • Built in hardware support (eliminates need for initramfs during boot)
  • Optimise for my hardware (and cut out everything else)
The pdf-book: Linux Kernel in a Nutshell by Greg Kroah-Hartman has been great. So has the Arch Wiki (Kernel Compilation from Source, Kernel Compilation from Source for New Users Guide).

My hardware requirements were pretty easy to find using Hard Info. It displays tons of info about your system (hardware, kernel, users, devices, network and more).It can also do several benchmarking tests.

Now I know the hardware my kernel will need to support, and which modules it currently uses. Time to find the required drivers and start cutting out everything else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment